Monday, June 27, 2011

Decorating with Red, White & Blue

With the 4th of July only a week away, every store in the United States has been packed full of those infamous red, white and blue hues. It seems like for the next week everything is red, white and blue from food, to fashion and even home decor. So this got me wondering. Can red, white and blue find its way into my everyday life or is this strictly a seasonal color palette? Here's what I've come up with (actually here's what Google came up with).

This blue and white dining room (courtesy of Elle Decor) is okay. The red coral chandelier though, takes this room from okay to OMG. The bold pops of red on this subtle blue and white back drop add a "wow" factor that I just don't know that you could get with any other combination.
This modern living room doesn't scream "HAPPY 4TH OF JULY" to me but it does say "I'm sophisticated, modern and a little unexpected." Again, just a few subtle hints of red really pop against quieter colors.
I love this room because of how many different colors it incorporates. This isn't just a red, white and blue room. There are so many different shades of red and blue and even more amazing to me is that none of them clash or compete. They all work together to create a palette that really flows together, subtly drawing your eye from one shade to another.
This last bedroom is a little more "Americana" but still yet, the classic oak wood and timeless madras plaid work so well with neutral colored walls and a pop of red on the night stand.
So I think I may be putting some of those red, white and blue decorations to use more than just once a year. Granted, it's not a color palette for everyone but it's surprisingly more versatile than even I would have ever thought.

No comments: